Forum
RegisterAlbumSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Wakeboard Racks,Speakers, Tower, Bimini, Clamps, Lights, Mirrors, Towers, Wake Board, Wakeboarding, Accessories
Wakeboard Racks,Speakers, Tower, Bimini, Clamps, Lights, Mirrors, Towers, W
Typhoon Winch Build, Billings MT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    wakeboarding-winch.com Portal Home -> Forum » DIY Winch Builds View previous topic
View next topic
Typhoon Winch Build, Billings MT
exhaltingidiotz

Post Typhoon Winch Build, Billings MT Reply with quote
Hey guys, here's my first attempt At building a winch.. here's the details.
13hp engine (W/electric start)
1"x2" tube steel frame
going to add a 1" steel axle
spool wall is being water-jetted out ov 3/16 alluminum plate, 14 inch spool, 6 inch barrel, 12 inch wide

learning as I go.. never built anything like this before.. so any suggestions would be great...

Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:26 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Google
AdSense

Post Please Click to support this site

Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:26 am
milkman81

Post Reply with quote
make sure you use a chain tensioning device of some kind.

Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:29 am View user's profile Send private message
exhaltingidiotz

Post Thanks.. didn't think of that.. Reply with quote
I ordered a tensioner sprocket.. but now need to figure out how to attach it.. am thinking about a spring arm, that would carry the tensioner..
any design idea's?
Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:52 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
milkman81

Post Reply with quote
Go look at a bike to see how its mounted on there

Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:33 am View user's profile Send private message
exhaltingidiotz

Post Updated Pics.. Reply with quote
Still waiting on parts.. as UPS Hosed me cause of Thanksgivig.. but added the flat metal on the sides where the axle will connect to the frame..
And added the engine mounts to frame.. haven't notched the frame yet, unit I get all parts and can test fit everything.. mounts will be notched with a pull-bolt.. that will allow the engine to be slid back by turning the bolt, thus keeping the chain tight...

Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:05 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
exhaltingidiotz

Post Progress continues.. more parts ordered Reply with quote
Well I got my axle parts, and installed them, and also drilled and notched the motor mounts, also got the hitdh pin hole drilled,.,.
I'm really excited about how the axle turned out, it's really clean.. Sent Spool design to the Water-Jet guy, and they should be done by the end of the week..
once this is all up and running, we are going to use it on snow boards while the snows flying, and once everything is tried and trued.. it will be powder coated bluechrome.. here's some more pics

Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:32 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
exhaltingidiotz

Post Spool walls done... Reply with quote
Here's some pics of the spool after being water jetted.. they came out really nice, now I just have to drill and tap the rods that will make up the barrel of the reel...

Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:49 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
milkman81

Post Reply with quote
Looks good!

Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:02 pm View user's profile Send private message
exhaltingidiotz

Post The build continues...... Reply with quote
Well more parts are on, and now I'm just waiting on the sprocket and I can test run this machine.. SO far everything's been coming together decently well.. with a few minor adjustments.. heer's some pics, and I'll try to link a coupl of vids

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=23578055

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=23578282
Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:33 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
exhaltingidiotz

Post Crunch Time Reply with quote
Well it's about that time.. Time to clean up a couple of my welds, and the frame is off to powder coating.. thinking frame Bluechrome, and the spool walls in chrome-reg.. hope it goes good...

Enduring the process of this build I've learned quite a lot about winches, so if anyone has any questions or is in need of some parts, let me know, and I will try to point in the right direction. Also if you like my spool and want one, I can probably have the spool walls done fairly cheap, and tell you how to finish them
Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:16 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
shady

Post Reply with quote
How did you fix the spool on axle, to prevent axial movement?
Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:40 am View user's profile Send private message
exhaltingidiotz

Post Attaching the Spool to the axle Reply with quote
The axle I am using is a standard 1" axle, I am using a Srpocket Hub with an OD o 1 15/32" the spool walls are cut to 1 1/2" so it just slides over the hub and bolts to the hub flange with 5/16" bolts, the hubs are secured to the axle with a 1/4" keyway and an opposing set screw.
Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:39 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
exhaltingidiotz

Post Assembly complete....????? Reply with quote
Well I test fired my Winch today, after a long awaited sprocket showed up... I didn't have any line, so I bought fishing line, and tied it to a box....
my PACE car was unable to keep up with the instant acceleration of the box, but when he caught up, he said 20-25... well this sounds great to me, because thats the minimum circ of the spool.. so with actuall line this speed will increase to a better speed withing a couple of seconds.... so here's som new pics....

Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:59 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
shady

Post Re: Attaching the Spool to the axle Reply with quote
exhaltingidiotz wrote:
The axle I am using is a standard 1" axle, I am using a Srpocket Hub with an OD o 1 15/32" the spool walls are cut to 1 1/2" so it just slides over the hub and bolts to the hub flange with 5/16" bolts, the hubs are secured to the axle with a 1/4" keyway and an opposing set screw.

I understand keyway, and spools and hub, but I don't understand oppositing screw part, can you post a detail picture. The thing is in my first attempt I welded the spools on the axle, (I was in a hurry and every other solution was too complicated), now I have the time and I'm searching for best solution. Thnx in advance.
Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:54 pm View user's profile Send private message
exhaltingidiotz

Post some pics from our latest outing Reply with quote
here's some pics

Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:43 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    wakeboarding-winch.com Portal Home -> Forum » DIY Winch Builds All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: